Toffee Blog

The wonderful world of toffee, chocolate and dessert.

My Photo
Name:

Born and raised in Sydney Australia I grew restless and decided to travel the world. While abroad I spent 3 years on Oahu, Hawaii. Towards the end of my time there I met a girl, fell in love, and married her nine months later. After we settled down in Pleasanton California I found myself unhappy with the work I was doing. One day I made the decision to leave my job and start a candy company. I had no business experience, but I truly believed that I had the best tasting toffee recipe. During those early days I would make toffee out of an eight inch pot, and if I wasn’t making toffee I was selling at farmer’s markets or delivering product to stores. Since starting Shaymee’s back in January 2000 the company has grown to include many fine retailers across the country; Fred Meyer’s, Raley’s and Whole Foods to name a few. Our handmade treats are produced in small batches and made to order for freshness. Currently we are working on expanding our line of products to include handmade truffles and flavored nuts; which many of these new items are kosher and organic certified. Our mission is to provide the finest and most unique all natural Australian treats. Sincerely, Paul

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Is Chocolate Good For You?


The word chocolate comes from the Aztec word xocolatl meaning “bitter water.” Thanks to the few creative innovations made by the Spanish using sugar, cinnamon and vanilla has helped make chocolate what we know and love today.
Many studies indicate flavonoids protect the heart from damaging effects of unstable oxygen compounds called free radicals that, among other things, can damage blood vessels. The flavonoids found in
chocolate have a complex chemical structure and are believed to be potent antioxidants (polyphenol) which are present in many fruits, vegetables, tea and red wine. A one ounce bar of chocolate has the same antioxidant protection against cancer as five ounce glass of red wine. When cocoa is processed into your favorite chocolate products, it goes through several steps to reduce its naturally pungent taste. Flavonoids provide this pungent taste. The more chocolate is processed (such as fermentation, alkalizing, roasting), the more flavonoids are lost. To date, dark chocolate appears to retain the highest level of flavonoids. So your best bet is to choose dark chocolate over milk chocolate for the most health benefit.
Enjoy!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really amazing! Useful information. All the best.
»

2:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»

8:46 PM  
Blogger Paul D. Fessa said...

Thank you!!!
:)

7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home