Toffee Blog

The wonderful world of toffee, chocolate and dessert.

My Photo
Name:

Born and raised in Sydney Australia I grew restless and decided to travel the world. While abroad I spent 3 years on Oahu, Hawaii. Towards the end of my time there I met a girl, fell in love, and married her nine months later. After we settled down in Pleasanton California I found myself unhappy with the work I was doing. One day I made the decision to leave my job and start a candy company. I had no business experience, but I truly believed that I had the best tasting toffee recipe. During those early days I would make toffee out of an eight inch pot, and if I wasn’t making toffee I was selling at farmer’s markets or delivering product to stores. Since starting Shaymee’s back in January 2000 the company has grown to include many fine retailers across the country; Fred Meyer’s, Raley’s and Whole Foods to name a few. Our handmade treats are produced in small batches and made to order for freshness. Currently we are working on expanding our line of products to include handmade truffles and flavored nuts; which many of these new items are kosher and organic certified. Our mission is to provide the finest and most unique all natural Australian treats. Sincerely, Paul

Thursday, July 06, 2006

A Search for Chocolate...

Many Australians visit the island of Bali. It is only five and a half hours from Sydney by plane. One year I went with some mates on a surfing safari. It was in April and it was the time we found when the Balinese people celebrates their New Year. A local told us that in the old days they would have guards on patrol with swords in hand during these celebrations, and if they found anyone in the streets during this time they would cut off their head. They still patrolled the streets with sword in hand, but I don't think they go that far these days, anyway we didn’t want to find out.

It was also the time we Aussies celebrated Easter back in OZ so we got the idea to see if we could find some chocolate. The place that we were staying at was called Dewi Shinta in Kuta. The man in charge, Made (pronounced Ma day), said that we were not allowed to leave until the next day. We had no water that we could drink, no food, no air-conditioning and no chocolate, all we had was duty free whiskey.

So we made a desperate attempt to find all of the above. We would dodge the sentries that were on guard in the streets while trying to find a store that was opened, but there was none to be found. Then we heard people laughing so we went to investigate. To our amazement we found a place called the Bali Sunset Club. There was a great big pool and bar area with lots of beautiful people having fun. We made like we were guest at the hotel, and for the rest of the day and night we enjoyed all the amenities the hotel had to offer…including lots of chocolate. You Rippa!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home