Toffee Blog

The wonderful world of toffee, chocolate and dessert.

My Photo
Name:

Born and raised in Sydney Australia I grew restless and decided to travel the world. While abroad I spent 3 years on Oahu, Hawaii. Towards the end of my time there I met a girl, fell in love, and married her nine months later. After we settled down in Pleasanton California I found myself unhappy with the work I was doing. One day I made the decision to leave my job and start a candy company. I had no business experience, but I truly believed that I had the best tasting toffee recipe. During those early days I would make toffee out of an eight inch pot, and if I wasn’t making toffee I was selling at farmer’s markets or delivering product to stores. Since starting Shaymee’s back in January 2000 the company has grown to include many fine retailers across the country; Fred Meyer’s, Raley’s and Whole Foods to name a few. Our handmade treats are produced in small batches and made to order for freshness. Currently we are working on expanding our line of products to include handmade truffles and flavored nuts; which many of these new items are kosher and organic certified. Our mission is to provide the finest and most unique all natural Australian treats. Sincerely, Paul

Friday, July 21, 2006

Australian Sticky Date Pudding


Australian Sticky Date Pudding

Ingredients:


1 cup Butter, room temperature
1/2 cup Butter
1/4 cup Whipping cream
1/2 cup Firm packed brown sugar PLUS
1 tb Firm packed brown sugar
1/2 ts Vanilla

Plus extra to butter pan
1 cup Chopped pitted dates
1 ts Baking soda

2 ea Eggs
1 cup All purpose flour
ts Salt
1 ts Vanilla
1/2 ts Baking powder
Directions:

This Australian recipe is a very moist cake, not what you would call a
pudding, is a great favorite for Aussies. You’ll find it on restaurant
and dinner party menus across Australia.

TO PREPARE CAKE: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9-inch round
baking pan with sides at least 2 inches high, such as a spring form pan.

Place the dates in a saucepan and cover with water (about 1-1/2 cups).
Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook for 3 minutes. Add the
baking soda (the mixture will foam) and set aside.

In a bowl, cream the cut up butter, sugar and eggs, adding the eggs
one at a time. Gently mix in the flour, salt and vanilla. Slowly stir
in the baking powder and 1/4 cup of the liquid from cooking the
dates, until the cake mixture resembles thick pancake batter. Drain
off remainder of date cooking liquid and discard. Stir in the dates.

Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until cooked in the center.

TO PREPARE CARAMEL SAUCE: Combine the butter, whipping cream, brown sugar and vanilla. Bring to a boil; reduce to simmer, and cook for 3 minutes. TO SERVE: Drizzle some of the sauce over the cake as it is cooling. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home